Japanese Calligraphy Workshop
A CAN Japanese Festival Workshop
Date: May 18 – May 18Space: Workshop
Join us to celebrate the CAN Japanese Festival during the month of May, as we highlight the rich variety of traditional and contemporary arts and culture of Japan. There will be exhibitions for you to visit, plus events and workshops to experience during the whole month.
On Saturday 18 May, local Japanese language and calligraphy teacher Robert Arrell will host an informative practical workshop on Japanese Calligraphy, suitable for beginners. Learn about the intricate art of Japanese lettering, and have a go at creating some with the specialist brushes, inks and materials. Rob will guide you along until you feel ready to create, giving you an understanding of the history of Japanese Calligraphy and the handmade inks that are used.
- Where: CAN Workshop – 16 Byron Street, Napier
- When: Saturday 18 May
- Time: 1pm – 3.30pm
- Cost: $45 which includes materials and the use of tools
- Tutor: Robert Arrell
- What to Bring: Yourself, and a gold coin for a cuppa!
- To Book: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the CAN 06 835 9448.
- Only prepayment secures your place on the course. Your place may be reserved for 48 hours only to give you time to pay before your reservation is removed. Book early to avoid disappointment, numbers are strictly limited!
Online payments: Contact the CAN for details. Reference: EV1918 and your surname
- NB: Creative Arts Napier reserves the right to cancel this workshop a week prior to date in the event of insufficient bookings.
Robert Arrell has taught Japanese at Napier Boys’ High School for 25 years, and he includes calligraphy in his lessons on a regular basis. He studied Japanese ‘shodo’ (calligraphy) in Japan when he lived there for one year in 1987. He has a Master of Arts degree in History and a Diploma in Arts – Japanese. He is president of the Japan Society of Hawke’s Bay.